Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Things I've learned from pregnancy and the first 4 months of motherhood

**buried treasure from 8 months ago that I never posted.  It's neat to see how things have changed...

There are things out there that are hard to understand unless you have kids or have been pregnant.  If you are among the population that has not yet gone through this crazy transformation, or never plans on it, here are some things that I wish I had known a year ago:
1.  Don't comment on a woman's body.  I know, it sounds VERY obvious, but you may have done it in a way that you didn't think was bad, or you may not have realized you were even doing it.  Predicting the baby's gender based on how a womanis carrying involves staring at her midsection for at least 2 seconds in a scrutinizing manner, which most humans don't enjoy.  When a friend of mine was expecting her second baby I was OBSESSED with how she was carrying .  Her first was a girl, and her belly was really low-profile, but her second was going to be a boy, and he stuck straight out in front!  It was incredible!  People had been telling me that with girls, you grow wide and boys were usually all in the front, so I was fascinated with the difference in her 2 pregnancies.  I started greeting her belly-first instead of making eye contact.  The thing is, I didn't realize that this obsession in and of itself could be hurtful... Until I was pregnant and EVERYONE wanted to tell me I was having a boy, or saying "wow!  You're all out in front!"  Thanks.  I know it's a boy, and I feel like a whale even though I've gained within the reccomended number of pounds.  But it took experience to realize that I was being a rude idiot myself.  If you're reading this, buddy, I'm sorry about myself;)
2.  Don't assume naptime is the best time to hang out with your new mom friend. Nap time is sacred.   It sounds like a good idea, but your friend with the baby won't mind talking to you while her tyke shrieks and squirms on her. Make her feel like it's not that much of a distraction, and try not to get annoyed with lots of interruptions (you're right, it IS annoying.  Babies are extremely rude). The thing is, she has important stuff to do during nap time, like sit on the floor in the pantry with a glass of wine and look at pictures of her exes on Facebook.  In sweet delicious silence.

** I guess I never finished it, but these two tips are still pretty good ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment